Local Fares Change on July 1, 2019
In order to continue providing safe and efficient service while addressing rising operational costs, local fares and passes will change on Monday, July 1, 2019. Transbay fares will remain the same.
You will receive a higher discount when you use your Clipper® card to pay for the Adult Single ride or Day Pass. As a result, your fare will not change, saving you 25 cents on local rides and 50 cents on the Day Pass. Switch to Clipper for your best value.
Fares on the Dumbarton Express can be paid with Clipper or cash (exact change only). (If you’re an eligible Stanford University employee, you can ride free on the Dumbarton Express with a VTA Express Eco Pass sticker. Please visit the VTA website for details.)
|Basic Cash Fares||Adult||Youth||Senior/Disabled1|
|Single ride local:||$2.50||$1.25||$1.25|
|Clipper Fares & Passes||Adult||Youth||Senior/Disabled1|
|Single ride local:||$2.25||$1.12||$1.12|
|Day Pass Local3:||$5.00||$2.50||$2.50|
|Local to Transbay Upgrade2:||$3.25||$1.63||$1.63|
|Local 31-Day Pass:||$84.60||$34.00||—|
|Transbay 31-Day Pass:||$198.00||—||—|
|Senior Monthly Pass:||$34.00|
|RTC Monthly Sticker:||$34.00|
1 Seniors: Passengers 65 or older must show proof of age with a valid driver’s license, DMV ID card, Medicare Card plus photo ID, Regional Transit Connection (RTC) Discount Photo ID, or passport.
Disabled: Passengers must show proof of disability with Medicare Card plus photo ID, RTC Discount Photo ID card, DMV Parking Placard ID Card plus photo ID, or disabled license plate registration plus photo ID.
2 Pay this amount with cash or Clipper when using a local pass (listed below).
3 Automatically applied on the third trip. Valid for unlimited local rides from time activated until 3:00 a.m.
4 Transbay-to-local transfer free and only available when using Clipper. Automatically applied on second bus when boarded within one and a half hours. Also applies to local-to-transbay transfer.
These passes are accepted as full transbay fare:
- AC Transit Transbay 31-Day Pass
- VTA Express Eco Pass
These local passes are accepted as full local fare or partial credit for transbay fare when transferring to the Dumbarton Express:
(To achieve full transbay fare, passengers pay transbay upgrade listed under
Basic Fares with cash or Clipper.)
- AC Transit Local 31-Day Pass (transfer within 2 hours)
- AC Transit Senior/Disabled monthly pass on RTC or Senior Clipper card (transfer within 2 hours)
- AC Transit Local Day Pass (transfer within 2 hours)
- SamTrans Monthly Pass (transfer within 2 hours)
- Caltrain Monthly Pass (transfer within 2 hours)
- Union City Transit Pass
- VTA Monthly Pass (transfer within 2.5 hours)
- VTA Day Pass (transfer within 2.5 hours)
Local BART-to-Bus transfers are free with paper transfer issued at BART. On Clipper, $0.50 discount applied on bus trip away from BART. Give transfer slip to operator upon boarding. Does not apply as partial transbay fare credit.
5 Please check with individual transit agency for details about purchasing passes.
Connections to Other Bus Service
Riding Dumbarton Express and AC Transit
- Passengers who transfer from a local AC Transit bus to ride the DBX locally pay a full cash fare on both buses ($2.50 + $2.50), unless the passenger purchased a paper Day Pass on the AC Transit bus. In that case, the passenger flashes the pass on the DBX bus and rides locally at no additional charge.
- Passengers who transfer from a local AC Transit bus to ride the DBX transbay pay a full cash fare on both buses ($2.50 + $5.50), unless the passenger purchased a paper Day Pass on the AC Transit bus. In that case, the passenger flashes the pass on the DBX bus and adds $3.00 to the farebox.
- Passengers who transfer from a local AC Transit bus to ride the DBX locally have the full fare deducted on both buses. These fares “accumulate” up to $5.00, at which point a local Day Pass activates and all local rides on AC Transit or the DBX are free for the remainder of the day.
- Passengers who transfer from a local AC Transit bus to ride the DBX transbay have the local fare deducted on the first bus and the upgrade fare deducted on the second bus.
Transfers from DB Express to local service on SamTrans, Union City Transit, or VTA
- Transfer is free if made from a DBX transbay trip to a local trip when using Clipper (except when transferring to Union City Transit, which costs $.25).
- Customers paying with cash, or using a paper pass, must request an Inter-Agency Voucher on the DBX bus and give voucher to driver of connecting agency’s bus within two hours of time.
- SamTrans does not accept paper transfers; transfer discounts are processed on Clipper only.
- Clipper passengers, except those transferring to Union City Transit, do not need to request an Inter-Agency Voucher, as the appropriate transfer fee will be deducted automatically upon tagging the card on the connecting agency’s bus.